Monday, January 11, 2016

TransAmerica Trail by Bike 2020

I have officially made plans for 2020 to bike across the United States on the Transamerica Trail!  The excitement of this adventure is almost overwhelming.  After a relatively short discussion with my wife, she was surprisingly open and supportive, although a bit concerned for my safety.  This is certainly understandable, but there are hundreds of people who do this every year.  After quite a few hours or research, it sounds like the routes are somewhat off the major roads and for the most part safe and lightly traveled.  Either way, I understand her concern, but I will be traveling with another rider.

We will be going east to west, from Christiansburg, VA to Astoria, OR.  Total miles is around 4228 and I expect this to take approximately 50 days, however we will plan for a full two months.  I am sure we will need time for site seeing, etc.

So now the planning starts.  A new touring bike will be required.  Been closely looking at the Trek 720 disc, although reviews have indicated frequent broken spokes.  One option, get the 720, then either build new wheels myself or upgrade to an off the shelf pair of Mavic's or something like that.  Been a while since I have built wheels and this is always very rewarding, especially when you plan to ride them across the united states.

2/3/2016 - Looking seriously at the Shand Stoater.  Nice thing about this bike is the fact I can continue to ride as a road or even cyclocross after the tour.  Working with Jim from CycleMonkey.

The list of things to pack has already started.  I am thinking we will get started around May 20th of 2020.  Not sure where this date came from, but sounded good and things are starting to warm up by then.

Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment