Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Messoa IP Camera Woes!

Approximately two and a half years ago I purchased a Messoa NCR870 POE bullet camera from TriStar CCTV.  The purchasing experience through TriStar was top notch.  I actually ended up purchasing another camera for an office building from them recently.  Again, a great experience.

About two months ago I noticed my NCR870 disconnecting and reconnecting hundreds of times a day from my NVR device.  At first, I figured this was the surveillance station software, but then realized this was a camera issue after running a line test via my POE switch.  The switch was indicating a "short" condition.

Initially I reached out to TriStar for assistance.  After two emails and one voice mail, they never returned my inquiries.  In the past, they have always been very responsive, but in those cases, I was inquiring about a purchase, not support.  So, we obviously know where their priorities are!

After no response from TriStar, I reached out to Messoa directly.  They offered several different options to address the issue, none of which worked.  They sent me an RMA and the camera went back.  After two weeks of waiting, they indicated there was indeed a short in the system somewhere.  They identified the issue and claim there was a lightening strike or similar high voltage condition which caused the short.  I disagree!  I have two other POE devices on the same switch and neither suffered the same condition.  Plus, it is winter here and we have not had storms for months.

It is concerning to me, for what this camera cost there is not adequate circuitry to handle slight, but possibly damaging high voltage conditions.  So, Messoa is asking for $70 plus shipping to fix and return.  I need to get the camera back, so I am going to pay for the fix.  Honestly, I do not think this is good customer service and I will NOT be recommending Messoa to friends and family as I have done before.

Update: Messoa indicated they would be shipping out an RMA camera instead of taking the time to fix the original.  Now, does that mean they are sending me a temporary camera until the original is fixed?  Who knows at this point.  I have a UPS tracking number, so something is on the way and my credit card has yet to be charged.  So, time will tell here...

No comments:

Post a Comment